Cheese-Stuffed Venezuelan Corn Cakes (Cachapas)
Along with arepas, these corn cakes are a Venezuelan staple. This unique version combines canned creamed corn, pancake mix and cornmeal.
- 1 can 14 3/4 oz of cream corn
- 3/4 cup all-purpose baking mix
- 1/4 cup Albers® White or Yellow Corn Meal
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Vegetable oil
- 5 slices of cheese
- 5 slices of ham optional
- PLACE creamed corn, baking mix, corn meal, egg, butter and sugar in blender; cover. Blend until well blended. Pour mixture into medium bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- HEAT griddle or skillet over medium heat; brush with vegetable oil. Pour 1/4 cup mixture onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles form on the surface and the bottom is browned. Flip and cook about 1 minute more or until golden. Place slices of cheese and ham, if desired, on cachapas and fold. Place on serving dish. Keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Serve hot.