Maryland Spoon Bread
Pudding-like in consistency with a light corn flavor, this spoon bread is an excellent side dish alternative to mashed potatoes.
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Albers® White or Yellow Corn Meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Grease an 8-inch square pan or 2-quart baking dish.
- COMBINE milk, corn meal and salt in a medium saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat; add egg yolks, butter, baking powder and cheese. Mix well.
- BEAT egg whites in a small mixing bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold into corn meal mixture until no traces of white remain. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Albers® Corn Meal & Grits http://alberscorn.com/