Cheesy Grits With Mushrooms and Peppers
Versatile grits make an appearance in this simple cheese, pepper and mushroom dish. A hearty and comforting main dish for cool weather.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup Albers® Quick Grits
- 1 cup 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- 6 slices bacon coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms sliced
- BRING water to a boil in medium saucepan; slowly stir in grits. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes. Add cheese and hot pepper sauce; stir until cheese is melted. Cover; keep warm.
- COOK bacon over medium heat in large skillet until brown but not crisp. Remove bacon; reserve drippings. Add green onions, bell pepper and garlic to drippings; cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.
- PLACE cheesy grits in a shallow serving bowl. Top with mushroom mixture; sprinkle with bacon. Serve immediately.
MAIN DISH SUGGESTION
- ADD 1/2 lb. peeled and deveined medium shrimp and 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice to pan with mushrooms. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until shrimp are pink. Serve as above.